Friday 16 May 2014

SAMPLES: How to avoid 'disappointing products'



It has happened so many times to all of us, we buy a new product and then when we get home to use it we figure out that it doesn't work for us and we hate it! The only option is give it to a friend or let it rest in your make-up collection, gathering dust. Buying cosmetics is tricky because you can't return the products once you use it! - which is why you have to be 100% confident when buying. The best way to avoid wasting money on products is to get samples! It may sound so simple but a lot of people never think to ask for one. There are two types of samples: Mini versions of the real deal, and the not-so-attractive samples that are just in any old container. Either way, they're a great way to try out a new product without investing just yet! I've collected a good few samples so I'd thought I'd give some reviews and tell you what I will and won't be purchasing.


Benefit goodies 





Benefit are great for giving samples of their products. They always come in miniature versions and are commonly given with purchases and with magazines! Unfortunately, none of these worked out for me, and I won't be purchasing any of them.

1.'Cha-Cha' lip tint

While I love the choral shade, this just did not work for me as it sticks to every piece of dry skin on your lips! Just awful.


2. 'Triple Performing' moisturiser

I don't have anything particularly negative to say about this product - it was okay, but there are so many moisturisers for the same price or less that work better! Not worth the price tag.


3. 'Fake-Up Concealer

Again, nothing particularly bad but nothing wow. Plenty of drug store products give the same results!


4. 'HELLO FLAWLESS Oxygen wow' foundation 

This foundation was awful on me - it is far too greasy for my combination skin - but it would be lovely on dry skin, so if you have that skin type give it a go!  Also, the sample was way too dark for me. However, I've started using it for contouring so it is being put to use.



All About the Face 





3 face products - all in lovely packaging may I add! This is the best way to get a sample (for free!!) Simply bring a few plastic containers with you a put a bit of product into them so you can try them at home properly!


1. Seventeen 'WOW tan liquid glow'

I was a bit apprehensive to buy this product because I was afraid it would be orange and sparkly on so I decided to take a sample home - and now I cannot wait to buy it! This stuff is amazing. It's a lovely highlighter for when you have tan on and it gives a lovely glow to the face. And its only €7.59 at Boots! Seventeen also have a non-tan highlighter which I'm going to try out next. Boots also have 3 for 2 on Seventeen cosmetics at the moment.





2. La Roche Posay 'Rosiliac CC cream' 

Before, I never bothered with CC creams until I came across this one from La Roche Posay. What really interested me was that it is primarily to counter-act redness (my biggest skin problem)  as well as having an SPF of 30! Alone, its perfect for light coverage on those 'no make-up' kinda days. If I'm wearing a full face of make-up, I've started to use it on my cheeks where I tend to go very red. Avoid any greasy areas as it will cause any foundation to slide off and can look very oily. I'm definitely going to be buying this! You can buy it Boots for €22.99 but you can get cheaper ones in selected pharmacies!



3. MAKE UP FOREVER 'HD foundation'

This product had been hyped up so much, I needed to try it. The make-up artist in store gave me a sample of the foundation in shade '2'. When I tried it on it seemed okay - no better than any other foundation, but after a few hours it was so greasy! And this was the more matte foundation! It was horrible how oily my skin looked. I really just did not see what the hype was about - especially seeing as it has a hefty price tag!


4. Bare Minerals Ready SPF 20 Foundation 

I actually got this sample over a year ago, and I still have some left! It even came with a miniature Kabuki brush which is perfect for small areas like around the nose. I fell in love with it from the first use. It was perfect for covering up any shine and gave a lovely finish. The minerals didn't work well when I applied it directly onto my skin as it tended to clump, so I was using it as a powder! I am definitely going to be going back to Bare Minerals to buy myself one! They're usually around the €20 mark so not too pricey - but definitely worth it.



Moral of the story: if you're uncertain - get a sample! :)


Emma x





No comments:

Post a Comment